There is a new, global interest in mushroom therapeutics…and it’s growing. Exponentially. More and more people are learning about the health benefits of mushrooms and sharing stories with friends and family.
As we learn more about the healing power of mushrooms for everyday health, different words have become part of our vocabulary. Every day people are learning about the world of Mycotherapy (mushroom therapy).
Reishi mushrooms have been used for centuries in Asia and Europe. They have been called the “king of herbs” and the “mushroom of immortality” and have been extensively researched for their strong and comprehensive medicinal properties.
Per our customer feedback, we’re building the series “7 Important Things to Know to About” to help our community learn more about the all-natural ingredients in our products and why they are used to create our proprietary, synergistic extract blends.
7 Important Things to Know About Reishi Gold
Reishi are some of the world’s most popular mushrooms. There is often confusion among people, sellers, and even the scientific community about which variety of Reishi is included in products and what benefits to expect from a specific kind of Reishi. For this part of our series, we look to clarify everything about Reishi, their benefits, and the reasons for their essential role in mycotherapy.
What are Reishi Mushrooms?
- Reishi is a variety of Ganoderma mushrooms and can be found all over the world. The Ganoderma group (genus) includes nearly 300 different types (species) of similar mushrooms.
- Reishi grows in the trunk, base, exposed roots and stumps of dead or decaying hardwood trees in different regions, temperatures and climates.
- Reishi mushrooms have been used for centuries in Asia and Europe. They have been called the “king of herbs” and the “mushroom of immortality” and have been extensively researched for their strong and comprehensive medicinal properties.
What are Reishi Gold Mushrooms?
- Reishi Gold mushrooms (Ganoderma curtisii) are the US-found equivalent of the Ganoderma lucidum mushroom, also called Lingzhi. It’s specific name curtisii comes from a priest, M.A Curtis (1808 – 1872), a pioneer mycobotanist in the US.
- Reishi Gold mushrooms deliver the same health benefits as their lucidum counterparts that grow or are cultivated in different parts of the world.
What’s the Big Deal with Reishi Gold?
- Extract from Reishi Gold mushrooms has been proven as an effective non-pharmacological aid in many different areas of medicine including helping cells fight cancer, boosting the immune system, and fighting off bacterial infections.
What Gives Reishi Gold their power?
- Reishi Gold mushrooms are rich in polysaccharides, antioxidants, and triterpenoids. These bioactive components have been shown to have different anti-cancer, anti-inflammatory, and immuno-stimulating effects. Although they are inedible (think hard as tree bark), tough to chew and their extract is very bitter, Reishi mushrooms are non-toxic and can be prepared as a tea or other infusions.
Are Reishi Gold Mushrooms Different From Other Reishi?
- However, scientists are yet to agree on how much (or why) varieties of Reishi, such as G. lucidum, G. tsugae, and G. curtisii, differ from one another. The common agreement today seems that Reishi mushrooms differ in:
- Their hosts and substrates; e.g. dead or decaying hardwood trees such as conifers, oak, hemlock, maple, or ash.
- The place they’re found; e.g. Reishi in Japan, Lingzhi in China or oregonensis in the northwestern US.
Does Reishi Have Side Effects or Interactions?
Some forms and high doses of Reishi powder may cause dizziness and nausea. We ask and encourage you to seek medical advice about potential interactions before consuming Reishi or using blends that contain its extracts.
How Do I Know What Kind of Reishi is in My Product?
Product labels often state the species or variety of the mycobotanicals used in stacks or blends, but not always. We always encourage our customers and everyone in the Mycotherapy community to research the name and source of their ingredients before making a purchasing decision.
About Our Blends
Our Immunity Support blend includes a synergistic combination of Reishi Gold and other natural respiratory and immune system-boosting extracts from quality, organic, non-GMO ingredients, such as Chaga, Cordyceps, Lion’s Mane, Maitake, Shiitake, and Turkey Tail mushrooms, with Oregano Leaf Oil.
All of our blends are formulated to generate synergy among the ingredients, delivering stronger effects and results than consuming each ingredient separately.
Our specially formulated blend is convenient and easy to use. Simply add it to a glass of water a couple of times each day to reap all the benefits and help you support your immune response systems.
Add ViroSafe to your stack for an EXTRA layer of protection
The most important thing to understand about our products and ingredients can be summed up in one word: synergy. It’s true…we strategically selected each of our ingredients for their known health benefits. Each independent ingredient can generate a boost for you. However, the combination of ingredients enhances the potency and efficacy of each individual ingredient, creating synergy! You know the saying, “Two heads are better than one”? In this case, the careful combination of ingredients works exponentially better than the individual ingredient alone.
For this reason, we highly recommend you add ViroSafe Roll-On to your usual mix of Empyrean products. Yes, ViroSafe works great by itself and many of you already love it. But the magic of our products lies in the synergy between ingredients. That’s how you are going to get maximum health benefits!
Go Lucid. Go Beyond. Go Empyrean.
These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration.