There is a new, global interest in mushroom therapeutics…and it’s growing. Exponentially. More and more people are learning about the health benefits of mushrooms and sharing stories with friends and family.
As we learn more about the healing power of mushrooms for everyday health, different words have become part of our vocabulary. Every day people are learning about the world of Mycotherapy (mushroom therapy).
Lion’s Mane mushrooms are some of the most powerful members of the fungi family.
Per our customer feedback, we’re building the series “7 Important Things to Know to About” to help our community learn more about the all-natural ingredients in our products and why they are used to create our proprietary, synergistic extract blends.
7 Important Things to Know About Lion’s Mane
Lion’s Mane mushrooms are some of the most powerful members of the fungi family. As such, there is often hype about what Lion’s Mane mushrooms are, what they aren’t, what they’re called, and how they work. For this part of our series, we look to share a clear picture of Lion’s Mane, their benefits, and the reasons for their essential role in our blends.
What are Lion’s Mane mushrooms?
- Hericium mushrooms are a species of fungi commonly known in the western world as Lion’s Mane because of their blondish, shaggy appearance. Hericium americanum is the US variety of these mushrooms.
- This mushroom is also known as Yamabushitake, from the Japanese phrase “mountain priest mushroom.” Traveling Buddhist monks used it as food and as help to focus and concentrate during meditation. In China, Lion’s Mane is called Houtou (Monkey’s head). Lion’s Mane has several other names. See below for more info.
- Lion’s Mane mostly grows on dying and decaying wood in North America, Europe, and Asia. These mushrooms have been eaten in the northern parts of the world for centuries and have been researched for their strong medicinal properties.
What’s the Big Deal with Lion’s Mane?
- Lion’s Mane mushroom extract has been proven as an effective, non-pharmacological aid for overall health and is commonly used to boost memory, enhance mental performance, promote neurogenesis (creation of new brain cells), and prevent neurological disorders.
- Lion’s Mane has been researched as an alternative treatment for neurodegenerative diseases such as Dementia, Parkinson’s, and Alzheimer’s. This mushroom also has properties that protect against diseases and disorders of the digestive system, from several types of cancers to Crohn’s disease.
What Gives Lion’s Mane Their Immunity Boosting Power?
- Lion’s Mane mushrooms are rich in beta-glucan polysaccharides (BGPS), the substance responsible for their anti-cancer and neuroprotective properties. The BGPS concentration in Lion’s Mane has also been found to have immune-boosting and even wound healing properties.
- Lion’s Mane extract yields two important substances (Hericenones and Erinacines) that have been researched for many different uses, including neurogenesis, improving memory, and treating depression.
Are There Different Types of Lion’s Mane?
- All Lion’s Mane mushrooms belong to the Hericium family. The word Hericium means “hedgehog”, given their resemblance to, well, a hedgehog. Over time, different kinds of Hericium have been called Lion’s Mane.
- Lion’s Mane is also called Yamabushitake, Houtou, Hedgehog mushroom, Satyr’s Beard, Hair-comb, Wild Bear’s Head, Pompom mushroom, and other cultural names associated with its appearance.
- As with many other mushrooms, their proper names and classification are very confusing. This may lead to products being sold with false claims to include Lion’s Mane as an ingredient. For this reason, it’s very important to check the source and ingredients in all mycotherapy products for accuracy.
- The species we use in our blends is Hericium americanum, the only North American species of the Hericium.
What is the Best Way to Consume Lion’s Mane?
- Lion’s Mane is edible and can be consumed in any form. As with any natural supplement, the raw form yields the strongest results.
- Studies have shown that people may obtain the health benefits from Lion’s Mane both in extract and powdered form. It all depends on the concentration in the delivery form.
- We always encourage our customers and everyone in the Mycotherapy community to assess the concentration levels in each product before making a purchasing decision.
Does Lion’s Mane Have Side Effects or Interactions?
- There have been reported cases of allergic reactions when consuming Lion’s Mane. Although these reactions have been attributed to allergies to mushrooms, we ask and encourage you to seek medical advice about potential treatment interactions before using Lion’s Mane or other blends that contain its extracts.
About Our Blends
Our Immunity Support blend includes a synergistic combination of Lion’s Mane and other natural respiratory and immune system-boosting extracts from quality, organic, non-GMO ingredients, such as Chaga, Cordyceps, Maitake, Reishi, Shiitake, and Turkey Tail mushrooms, with Oregano Leaf Oil.
All of our blends are formulated to generate synergy among the ingredients, delivering stronger effects and results than consuming each ingredient separately.
Our specially formulated blend is convenient and easy to use. Simply add it to a glass of water a couple of times each day to reap all the benefits and help you support your immune response systems.
Add ViroSafe to your stack for an EXTRA layer of protection
The most important thing to understand about our products and ingredients can be summed up in one word: synergy. It’s true…we strategically selected each of our ingredients for their known health benefits. Each independent ingredient can generate a boost for you. However, the combination of ingredients enhances the potency and efficacy of each individual ingredient, creating synergy! You know the saying, “Two heads are better than one”? In this case, the careful combination of ingredients works exponentially better than the individual ingredient alone.
For this reason, we highly recommend you add ViroSafe Roll-On to your usual mix of Empyrean products. Yes, ViroSafe works great by itself and many of you already love it. But the magic of our products lies in the synergy between ingredients. That’s how you are going to get maximum health benefits!
Go Lucid. Go Beyond. Go Empyrean.
These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration.